Saturday, February 18, 2012

Olivia by Julie Wright

Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club)Olivia by Wright

I received Olivia by Julie Wright, the first in the Newport Ladies Book Club, in the mail a week ago and read it in a couple of days. It would have been a couple of hours, however life kept inturrupting my reading time. Of course upon receiving this book, I had to read the synopsis on the back.
"The Robbins household looks perfect from the outside: no dust, no stains, no wrinkles. Yet a glimpse into its heart reveals no laughter, no closeness, no joy. Olivia thinks that if she keeps everything tidy and serves delicious meals on time, family life is bound to get better. But when her husband, Nick, misses their anniversary, she realizes no amount of domestic success will compensate for failure in their marriage, or for her own failure to develop her identity, always busy as a mother, wife, and neighbor, she has forgotten how to be a unique and vibrant individual. Determined to make a change, Olivia joins a local book club, where she nurtures new friendships and explores new ideas. But her growing confidence falters when Nick declares his independence, and while her new friends lovingly encircle her with support, only Olivia can reach into the depths of her fledgling self to find the faith, hope, and love her troubled family needs."
Julie has written a book, which draws the reader into Olivia's family, struggles, and life. I was captured by Olivia and her struggles from the very first page until the end, which left me wanting more and looking forward to reading the other ladies stories as their books will be released over thhis year. Even though some of my struggles in life are different from those struggles Olivia faced, I could relate to her thoughts and feelings. I feel that Olivia and her story are as real to me as if I was sitting down and visiting with my friend. I would highly recommend this book to my close friends and family. I'm looking forward to discovering the rest of the story as I read the other books in this series, written by 3 other talented authors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. One that makes me want to add this book to my growing list of books to read.
Mary in Naples

Heather Moore said...

So glad you enjoyed it. I loved it too!

Maria Hoagland said...

This series is definitely on my list!! I can't wait to read them. Thanks for your review :)